Brat Stuffed German Potato Dumplings
3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
½ cup flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped chives, for garnish
horseradish mustard or spicy brown mustard, for serving
- Boil the potatoes for 30 to 45 minutes, or until they are fork tender. Drain the potatoes and mash them until they are completely smooth.
- Place the mashed potato in a large bowl. Add the flour, cornstarch, salt, nutmeg and egg. Mix until combined.
- Shape ¼ cup of the mixture into a patty in the palm of your hand. Place 1 slice of the bratwurst into center of the patty and shape the potato around the sausage, forming a tight ball. Repeat this with all the ingredients. You should have roughly 15 balls.
- Bring 6 quarts of water to a simmer in a large stockpot. Place half of the potato dough balls into the water and simmer for 10 minutes. The dough balls will float to the surface when they are close to being done. Remove the dumplings from the water and let them rest on a plate while you simmer the second batch.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large sauté pan. Sauté the potato dumplings for 5 minutes to brown lightly on all sides. Garnish with chopped chives and serve warm with horseradish mustard
We would like to thank meredithlaurence.com for this unique and delicious recipe