Bratwurst with Mustard Fried Potatoes & Braised Cabbage
1 package Boulder Sausage Bratwurst
1/4 cup diced shallots
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup whole-grain mustard
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
1 teaspoon thyme leaves
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 bunch of watercress, thick stems discarded
braised red cabbage
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 head red cabbage, cored and cut into 1/4-inch slices
1/2 onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 cup water
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon white sugar
2 teaspoons caraway seeds
1 teaspoon salt
- Cut potatoes into 1 1/2-inch chunks, then cook in a pot of salted boiling water, until tender, 30 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly
- Combine the shallots and vinegar in a bowl and let stand for 5 minutes; stir in both mustards. Whisk in 3/4 cup of the oil and season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
- Grill the bratwursts over moderate heat, turning, until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir cabbage and onion until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Pour in water; add vinegar, sugar, caraway seeds, and salt. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add the potatoes and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Cook over moderately high heat, turning, until golden and crisp, 6 to 7 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add 1/2 cup of the vinaigrette and the parsley. Season with salt and pepper and toss to evenly coat.
- Arrange half of the braised Cabbage on a serving platter. Scatter the potatoes and three-fourths of the watercress over the cabbage and top with half of the bratwursts. Repeat with the remaining cabbage, watercress and bratwursts. Pass the remaining vinaigrette at the table.
We would like to thank FoodandWine.com for this delicious recipe