Bob’s Great Spaghetti and Sausage Sauce
2 20-ounce cans tomato sauce
2 12-ounce cans tomato paste
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 7 to 10-ounce can sliced mushroom pieces or caps
1 pack BOULDER SAUSAGE brand Italian ground sausage
1 pack BOULDER SAUSAGE brand Italian sausage links
3 cloves chopped garlic
¼ cup chopped sweet onion
¼ teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
¼ teaspoon tarragon
¼ teaspoon fennel
¼ cup chopped onions
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Turn on a large Crock Pot for simmering the sauce. Keep covered while simmering. In the Crock Pot, add all tomato items, spices and oil. Do not add onion and mushrooms yet.
- Break up and cook the ground sausage in a large covered frying pan until fully cooked. In a food processor or by hand, finely chop the sausage. Add chopped sausage to Crock Pot.
- Cover the link sausage ½ way with clean water. Cook link sausage thoroughly. If water is gone before they are cooked, turn frequently until cooked. Slice links sausage into 3/4 inch to 1 inch pieces. Add to Crock Pot Stir Crock Pot every 30 minutes.
- Adjust heat to a very slow simmering boil. Simmer in Crock Pot for 1 hour. Adjust spices to taste and simmer for 1 more hour. Spices need time to work and to distribute flavor.
- When sauce is desired thickness and flavor, add onions and mushrooms. Simmer 1/2 hour. After 1/2 hour, turn off heat. Sauce is ready to serve, enjoy warm!
Submitted by: Bob C. of Colorado Springs
Prep Time: 20 minutes – Cook Time: 105 minutes – Total Time: 125 minutes – Yield: Serves 6-8