Homemade Corn Dog Bites
By Whitney from Whit’s Amuse Bouche
BOULDER SAUSAGE brand Beer Bratwursts – 1 package
Bamboo skewers – for frying
Cornmeal – 1 cup
Flour – 1 cup
Salt and pepper – to taste
Sugar – 3 tablespoons
Baking powder – 4 teaspoons
Egg – 1, beaten
Milk – 1 ½ cup
Mayonnaise – 2 tablespoons, for the remoulade
Dijon mustard – 2 tablespoons, for the remoulade
Whole grain mustard – 2 tablespoons, for the remoulade
Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon, for the remoulade
Champagne vinegar – 1 tablespoon, for the remoulade
Dill pickles – ½ cup, diced, for the remoulade
Salt and pepper – to taste, for the remoulade
Tomato paste – 1 6 ounce can, for the spicy ketchup
Cholula – 2 tablespoons, for the spicy ketchup
Apple – ½, diced, for the spicy ketchup
Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon, for the spicy ketchup
Garlic powder – ¼ teaspoon, for the spicy ketchup
Water – to thin ketchup as needed to reach desired consistency
Salt and pepper – to taste, for the spicy ketchup
Canola oil – 4 cups, for frying
1. In a skillet over medium high heat, cook the sausages until they are cooked all the way through, about 8 minutes per side. Remove from the skillet and cut each sausage into 4 even pieces.
2. Place on the end of the skewers and set aside. Combine the cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper, baking powder, sugar, egg and milk to make the corn batter. Heat the canola oil in a high sided pan until ready to fry.
3. Dip the battered bratwursts in the hot oil, rotating until a crust forms. Cook in the oil until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes per corn dog bite. Remove and drain on a paper towel.
4. To make the remoulade, combine the mayonnaise, dijon, whole grain mustard, lemon juice, champagne vinegar, diced pickles, salt and pepper, and mix until well incorporated.
5. To make the spicy ketchup, combine the tomato paste, lemon juice, cholula, apple, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a food processor. Process and slowly add water until ketchup reaches your desired consistency.
6. Serve corn dog bites with the spicy ketchup and the remoulade and enjoy!
Prep Time: 20 minutes – Cook Time: 30 minutes – Total Time: 50 minutes – Yield: Serves 4-6