8 0z Boulder Sausage Chorizo
1/2 medium onion
1 clove of garlic
½ a bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley
32 oz of organic chicken or vegetable stock
1 can of quality chopped tomatoes
1 cup risotto rice
1/2 cup red wine
2 oz Parmesan cheese , plus extra to serve
- Peel and finely chop the garlic,shallots, onion, and parsley, including the stalks.
- In a wide shallow pan heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add parsley, shallot, onion, garlic and chorizo to the heated oil and cook over a medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, or until the shallot is softened and the chorizo is beginning to crisp.
- In another pan, mix the stock with the canned tomatoes and heat.
- Add the rice to the shallot mixture and stir to cover the grains. Cook on high 1 or 2 minutes or until the grains have cracked and are slightly translucent at the tips, then add the red wine.
- Cook until almost all the wine has evaporated, stirring well. Add the heated stock and tomato mixture, ladle by ladle, stirring until the liquid is almost fully absorbed before adding more. You may not use all of the mixture, or you may have to top it up with a little water.
- Cook until the rice is tender but with a little bite in the middle, then add one last ladle of liquid.
- Add finely grated Parmesan to the pan with some seasoning. Stir well, take off the heat and cover. Leave for 5 minutes or so before stirring again, tasting and adjusting the seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve topped with extra grated Parmesan and the chopped parsley leaves.