Gold Medal Brat Sandwich
By Donna at Cookistry
4 links BOULDER SAUSAGE brand Beer Brats
1 tablespoon butter
1 pound fresh mushrooms
1 can sauerkraut (weight varies by brand, about 14 ounces)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red onion
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
1 large tomato
8 slices Swiss cheese (or shredded)
1 loaf French bread
- Cook the bratwurst on the grill until nicely browned and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a frying pan. Clean and slice the mushrooms and add them to the pan. Cook, stirring as needed until the mushrooms lose their moisture and most of it has evaporated again.
- Drain the sauerkraut (you can also rinse it, if desired) and add it to the pan with the mushrooms. Cook, stirring as needed, until the sauerkraut browns just a little. The mixture shouldn’t be watery at all.
- When the bratwurst is done, slice it thinly and add it to pan with the sauerkraut and mushrooms. Stir to combine and cook for a few minutes.
- In a separate pan, add the oil and heat on medium. Peel and quarter the onion and slice it. Add it to the pan with the oil and cook, stirring as needed, until the onions have softened a bit.
- Quarter the bell peppers, remove the stem, core and seeds, and slice them the same thickness as the onions. Add them to the pan with the onions. Cook, stirring as needed, until the peppers are as cooked as you like them.
- To make the sandwiches, slice the loaf of French bread horizontally. Slice the tomato and arrange the slices on the bottom half of the bread. Add the sausage/mushroom/sauerkraut mixture. Layer the pepper/onion mixture on top. Add the cheese*. Divide the sandwich into 4 portions. Serve and enjoy!
*If you want melted cheese on your sandwich (and who doesn’t?) there are several ways to get that done. Or you can simply put the cheese on the sandwich and let it soften from the heat of the rest of the components. To melt the cheese, you can put the assembled sandwich under your broiler for a few seconds, or warm it up on the grill.